If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (516) 809-9600

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Mold Damage Can Impact Unused Apartments

Mold damage can strike your home in many ways, and it can be caused by a variety of sources. However, mold damage always grows from exposure to excess moisture. Leaks are one of the most common ways that mold spores can find access to the moisture that allows them to flourish. Unfortunately, a leak is precisely what struck the apartment that we had been called to remediate.

The mold damage inside of the Bellmore apartment came from "a leak in the first-floor bathroom," says Ramond Norowski. Norowski is the owner of the Bellmore/ Wantagh SERVPRO franchise and was on the scene to take part in the remediation process. The mold "went undetected for a while because the apartment had been unused." It is always important to check on your properties to make sure that they have not sustained any damage from leaks, accidents, or foul weather.

Because the mold damage inside of the home had gone unnoticed for so long, SERVPRO had to take dramatic measures to ensure that it would be effectively remediated. According to Norowski, "the mold in this closet is so bad in this closet that we're going to have to demo the complete closet." Once a mold colony has taken root into a porous surface, it can be near impossible to completely remove the colony without removing the material it is attached it.

It is important to realize that mold spores are omnipresent. It is entirely impossible to rid your home of them altogether. However, it is possible to disinfect everything inside of your home so that additional mold colonies cannot grow. Norowski comments that "the rest of the apartment can be cleaned down by hand" by SERVPRO, to ensure that regrowth does not occur. It is common for our IICRC-certified technicians to use an antifungal or antibacterial cleaning agent to disinfect the area.

When you suddenly discover mold damage on your property, never hesitate to get professional help. Get in contact with SERVPRO of Bellmore / Wantagh by phoning (516) 809-9600. Day or night, no matter the weekday, we're able to help you.